Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Hardy

Hi Fella's

If your fish smoker is sitting idle. Try this.  I got a taste for the stuff when I was over in the States last year.  To dear to buy in NZ but easy to make your own.

I use beef schnitzel, as jerky meat needs to be thin. And this is just the right thickness.

Cut it into strips about 4cm's wide.  Marinate for a few hours in a mixture of dark soy sauce, cracked pepper ( I also add some Sesame oil) but that is optional.

Lay on racks in smoker (I use Manuka sawdust) and give it one container of meths.

Actually tastes quite good after just being smoked.  Brush the burnt pieces of cracked pepper off.  Then place in oven on wire racks at about 70 Celsius. In about two hours should be done. Keep checking, by sampling. When the meat is dry right through it is done.  Freeze or put in plastic bag and leave in fridge. Will last about a week as this meat does not contain any preservatives like the commercial product does.

You will find tho that it will only last a day of two at best, as once you start nibbling it is very hard to stop.  Goes great with a cold beer.

Happy  Nibbles

Cheers Trev

Hardy, I have done a little experimenting with my smoker, smoking various meats, fish and vegetables, but that sounds like something different to try, so Thanks.
I have been thinking a little about maybe building a proper smokehouse and coldsmoking a few things. Has anyone else tried that?

E.Donnall Thomas

Hardy

No probs Nick, you will love it. Took some down the pub tonite to snack on. Heck me mate gobbled the lot.  Just remember the shrinkage rate is two thirds, so get the schnitzel when it is on special and do a heap, then freeze.  Good for munching on the beach to, maybe even could make a good tough bait lol.  Must try that.

I have always wanted to cold smoke, as that stuff keeps forever, but as it is about a three day process, you would need to do heaps of fish and have a real cheap source of Manuka chips (or other) as long as it is not a resinous tree. Plus a lot more time in making a smoker.  I'll stick with the hot smoker, quick and easy.

Cheers Trev

hey there fullas,
thought id let you all know of a great book that has excellent info on how to make a hot/cold smoker,and how to prepare season and salt your fish/meat
any1 interested should look up the book.
its called HOOK LINE AND SINKER by RAY DOOGUE.
i rate this old publication very highly it has some great tips on allsorts of fishing stuff.
hope this helps  cheers...

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!