Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Neil

This is going to be a bit of a moan.

Now here in NZ with the massive numbers of surfcasters we have the true selection of availabile rods is in my opinion very poor .

I am not talking about the basic surf rod for the once a mth fisher but the sort of rod the serious surfcaster wants .

Why do we not have more choice in good rods?

I want another new rod full carbon 13 to 14ft or so set up for freespools
@$250 /300 or so can I get one in nz.??not realy..... can I have one delivered to my door from the uk yes !!
I would rather support either a nz importer or manufactor but its getting hard
to justify the extra cost .

There are rods imported into nz like greys and ron thompson but they do bring the surf rods    why not ????
Timbo

freespools
Neil

The freespool thing is part of it but still we dont have a lot of choice in the nz market once you get above the basic level.

Yes I know about filling the market needs for a basic rods to suit the mass market and import  fees etc etc  but there is a market here in this country for a line of mid priced rods 200/300 or so I belive.

The killwells and cd rods are good dont get me wrong here they are very very good  but once you have looked at those what else is there on our market ?

Who else would like to see a bit more choice on the market?
Hamish

Money money money bro its wat it all comes down to mate. 

Thomasw

Just out of interest, any idea how much it would cost postage wise to send a rod to New Zealand from the UK,US or Japab?

I thought it would of been signifcant. It costs around $20-30USD to post a reel to New Zealand.
bigboybop

I have had this discussion with killwell and cd  neil, the problem as they see it is the market is just not big enough in nz to justify spending time to develop rod or rods to fill a top end buyer. They do it for trout and boat but not surf. I have defended them and talked till blue in the face but alas their arrogance is their down fall.

The uk market is better at top end than bottom but nz companies who once dominated the market now fight to hold on to their share of the fishing retail sector. What annoys me more is these companies release new rods with high quality components and have never consulted with those who win and perform for years at the top end so that a rod can be produced. Gary k has been involved in rod development and done a good job, producing a mid range rod of very high quality but it hardly competes in the 200 plus range so has no idea what power and performance we seek. There is a guy down fieding way that r&d's for killwell, well where are the rods?  Killwell says they have produced a 200 plus rod yeah right show us bring one to a meet a do it, the answer is they cant cause their heads live in the i know clouds and rhetoric is easier than action and these companies can spin some good lines so to speak.
PLEASE KILLWELL AND CD CONFER WITH THOSE AT THE TOP END WE ARE HAPPY TO HELP WITH ADVICE TO BUILD A TOP PERFORMING ROD.
IT WILL HAVE THE FEATURES TOP PERFORMERS ARE LOOKING FOR.

Or like most that seek more... we will continue to buy overseas and eventually you lose.

money money money neil thats what it is all about thats why nz companies wont come to the maket place 1 million people fish in nz per year most couldnt tell a good rod from a bamboo stik and the manufacturers know it.

There is a new importer of 'Distance casting' rods in New Zealand. They are the agents for Zziplex, Anyfish anywhere, Century and Cono-Flex rods in. I have no idea about the quality of any of these brands.

http://www.rodshop.co.nz/

Note: I know that I could be promoting a potential compitior on the tackletatics sites but there is a real lack of high end surf rods in NZ and I felt that it might interest same of the users.
tackletactics

Staff
We don't import rods, so no problem here....  George is a member of this board, so he might be able to fill us all in on some more info on what his company is all about and whether he will be supplying shops or just direct to the public.
All the above mentioned brands are good brands (top of the line type stuff) and George's business venture should be of great interest to some of the boardies on here..

rodshop

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the interest.    Thank you also to Karvin and Greg for your support.

Rod Shop is a new internet based venture.  My aim is to supply top quality UK rods direct to the customer in New Zealand.  I have Zziplex, Century, Conoflex and Anyfish Anywhere on board.

As many will know out here, it is very difficult to source UK rods here owing to cost and importing hassles.  Rod Shop addresses this by supplying the rods at very competitive prices (cheaper than you could get them from the UK) and taking all the stress out of it. 

I have a small range of Zziplex in stock at the moment - as you will appreciate it's a costly venutre.  However, I can source whatever you require from my suppliers and get it to you. 

Please email me at rodshop@xtra.co.nz with any inquiries.  The website is quite basic at present, however, I can get prices for you.  Shortly there will be more pricing information, links and info re rods. http://www.rodshop.co.nz

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

George
Rod Shop Ltd

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!