Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Neil

Had this reel now for nearly a year and it has not missed a beat at all.

Features 7 ballbearings and one roller bearing for smooth operation.

Infinite anti reverse.

Twistbuster  ( daiwas anti twist bail arm roller design)

Longcast spool design ( and two of them ! )

Printed on the box it has line capacitys of 270 mtrs of 9kg line I dont use line that heavy and found that @ 50 mtrs of 10kg with 300 mtrs of 6kg fills the spools nicely .

As I siaid at the top of the thread I have been using this reel for @ one yr in all sorts of of conditions.

I have taken it apart @ 3 times once when new to check the amount of factory lube  ( all good ) once after a fishing trip which needed a lot of wading and the reel got dunked  ( a bit of water but no sand ) and the last time after a sandblasting at palliser bay ( all good )

Casting wise  

The drag has had a work out on all sorts of fish and has also never let me down a nice and smooth start up and a good progression all the way up to lock out.

Well done Daiwa!

PhilipDannevirke

Hi, Neil,
I'm only into Daiwa
freespools.  Got an SL30SH, which I love for long casts (for me anyhow!)  I mount it high on a 13'6" Solaris, which isnt designed for overheads but I find OK.  I'm not a power caster yet!
I want to get an SL30SHX but can't afford one yet, might even try an Okuma Magnetix if I get the chance.
I also like Okuma fixed spools, I replaced my Silstar BX80's with Avenger ABF 80's 'cos I like the bait runner system, and they came as combos with a couple of Solarisis.  I also have a couple of Okuma Mistiques MQ80's, they also came with Solarisis as combos!  They cast better than the Avenger ABF 80's, which is exactly as Gary K said when I posted about them last year.  They all came with 5 year guarantees and spare spools which I think is great.  I have'nt found fault with them yet, though they dont get the frequent workouts some of the other members give their gear.
I find the overhead goes better on the 13'6" rod 'cos I am a short ass so I fish the fixed spools on the 14'6" rods.
I'm using 5 oz BOS on medium length  pully rigs with  Ultima shock leaders uniknotted to 6Kg main line.  I have 9kg line on my spare spools but i've not needed to use them yet.
Tight lines, Philip
Neil

The other reel I use is an sl20sh mounted on a killwell qt 6 powerplay will do a reveiw on that soonish.

PhilipDannevirke

Neil, don't you find the SL20 spool a bit fast?  I would expect the
sl 30 or 40 to be a beter bet for casting because of the slightly larger spool.  I went for the SL 30 'cos of the large line capacity. Had a debate on the other board about that, as the 20 only holds about 200M of 8Kg line.  I figured igf I got any good at casting (160M +) and nailed a big ray or kingi I might get spooled so went for the bigger capacity model.  What is your oppinion, or any one elses for that matter.  I see BigBoy is registered, probably some insight there.
Tight lines, Philip
Neil

Dont think so the sl20 and the sl30 have the same spool daimeter the 30 is wider thats all .
Your line level will not drop as fast as my 20 does but I have little probs with blow ups.

With the right oil in the bearings and the brake blocks set up to suit your casting stlye they are both great reels.

I have mine loaded with blackmagic 8kg line and the two smallest blocks in it and just a drip of a light oil on the bearings .

How have you got your one set up?
and how does it go on the solaris ? does the line touch the blank when theres a fish on?
PhilipDannevirke

Hi, Neil,
That blows that theory then!  I have taken all the brakes out and use light oil on the bearings.  As for line toucjing the blank, I havent noticed a problem, but then I havent had a seriously good fish on to check!  The line is bound to touch though, since the rings are spaced for fixed spools.  I've been checking out sites for rods designed for overheads, too damned expensive for me at the moment. If we can drive up interest in overheads here at home perhaps we will see some decent home grown rods, otherwise I will have to go the custom route.  I havent built a rod in over 30 years but i still know how!
Tight lines, Philip
Neil

Yip theres sod all rods about for us freespool users without looking at spending 500 or more.
Most of the ones I see on the beachs are imports !!

Timbo

Hey Philip if you want a good work out on your rod head down to Akitio near the river mouth after dark for some big ol' string pulling lemons. Plenty of big boys around there when the surf is up. I had my rod doubled over and line pouring off the reel there earlier in the year but dropped the fish
davefromgizzy

hi neil,i have had 2 daiwa emcast evo 5500's for about 6 months and i totally agree,they are gr8 reels even with my old f-glass rods.the next step is to match them to a pair of decent rods when the budget allows.does anyone have any suggestions on suitable rods? i was thinking of trying solaris',they have had good reviews on message board previously.any feedback would be appreciated.cheerz,dave

Solaris rods are sweet !!!! esp the 14.6ft

The new axeon one is the same build quality but is 10%?? stiffer
See if we can get Gary the designer to answer this in the rods forum.
PhilipDannevirke

Hi, Timbo,
I've spent a few hours at that river mouth, only ever got red cod though!  I will take your advice though, and soak some floated prawns for a few nights, just to see what happens.  I really enjoy catching lemons, especially big ones!!  The only big thing i've hooked there was a ray about 6ft across, busted me off in the surf!  That was on the north side of the mouth.  I'm keen to try there again some day, but also to walk/fish round the north side to the rocks, I think they call it the "organs", about an hours walk ap the beach.  I recon there might be some good rock fishing to be had there in the summer.
Tight lines, Philip.
PhilipDannevirke

Hi, Dave,
I've got four Solarisis.  Two 14'6" and two 13'6".  I prefer the 13'6" for overhead reels, but I rate them all.  Great rods, sweet to use and plenty of power.  Got all mine as combo deals, so they included reels, great value for money.  Give Phil Kettle a call at Tackletactics and see what he can do for you, I think the new Axeon can be had at agood price as a combo deal through them too.
Tight lines, Philip
Thomasw

Was wondering if anyone knows the main differences between the different Emcast reels. Sure they have slightly different numbers of bearing but is there any significant differences in performance.

I currently own the Sport, It is red with 8 ball bearings (but not smooth), and is built like a tank. A nice reel for the price.

Eg

Daiwa Emcast Pro
Daiwa Emcast plus
Daiwa Emcast EVO
Daiwa Emcast Sport

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!