Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Hardy

Hi and Welcome

To the TT Casting Sub forum.  I am sure we will have a lot of fun here. Share our interests  in long distance casting, either with bait, or with bare leads.  Whether competition or fishing.   At times a long cast is essential, other times not.  Being able to choose, is the essence. This is a place for us to grow together, By sharing, and through that we learn.
All those years ago I was what was called an overhead thumper.  Ok I caught fish. But I was killing myself , pushing the cast.  Now there are easier ones, sure they look complicated, but once you get the swing of things, well they just come natural.

My best until three months ago was about 80 yards. Ya won't get much more outa an an overhead thump.  Moved into the power casts, and now up to 166 yards. (bare lead) which with bait means about 120 yards.

I want to do a 200 yarder. And am sure I will before summer is gone.

I practice on the beach which is three minutes from my home.

Well at least I am honest, and I guess we all will have to be here.

Its okay to lie about the size of your fish (lol) but never about your cast.

Cheers Trev

Hey Hardy,
I have just taken up surfcasting and love it but i believe i am one of those over head thumpers.(if you know what i mean)
I was wondering if you know of any websites or books that could show me how to do another kind of cast as i would like to try and possibly get a bit more distance (like most) but really learn a proper type of cast....MANY THANKS

Hi Perry

The recommended way to learn power casting is find an Instructor.  But they seem to be hard to find in my neck of the woods.  So it is teach yourself.   If you go to google just search long distance casting.  You will find plenty there. 

Leave the Pendulum cast alone for now.   Look at  the "Unitech cast"  or the "OTG".
(Off the ground). Both are performed on dry ground, so no good if you wade out. And not much good if you use a  breakout sinker as they trip the wire, when you cast.

Have a look at the thread. Freespool Casting. On one of my posts you will see a link to the " Sleeper Cast"  this is an aerialised "Unitech cast" that you can use if you wade out.
It is a simple cast to master.  And gives good distance.  Just remember the golden rule, use a shock leader. 10lb for every ounce of sinker weight.

Here is another link which has some good stuff in it. How to beef up the overhead thump and more.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/distance%20casting.htm

Good luck.

Cheers Trev

Hey Trev,
Thanks so much i will go out in the padock now and give a couple of those techniques a try. I have a Axeon90 and 15 foot  Okuma Predator rod i am looking a getting a Solaris ( when the finances allow me too) but do you think it would be best to get a shorter one (13.6?) as i only got the predator as it was really cheap. I am not sure if the height of the rod affects much? or does it usually come down to personal preference... MANY THANKS and happy fishing...PERRY

Hi Again Perry

The Okuma Predator comes out as a 13' or 14". The Solaris 13'6" or 14'6".

The Predator is a slimmer rod and therefore more whippy.  The Solaris I would describe as a medium action rod. (Parabolic). I have a 14'6" Solaris with the Axeon 90. The same as you.

With a fixed spool reel the lighter the line the longer the cast.  I use 9lb (4.2kg) Suifix Synergy.  It is top class line. A three ounce sinker is well suited to this line size.  Don't be scared of light line, the rod and drag do all the work. I beached a shark of appro 80kg on this gear.  I use a tapered leader 60lb to 15lb. Makes for a smaller knot.  Every little bit helps in obtaining distance

I don"t think you would gain much by getting a Solaris as you already have a top off the shelf rod in the Predator.  My mate just bought one off TT and he loves it. He does prefer a whippier rod tho.  Me I like a medium action.  Always make your casts slow and easy and the results will come. Practise is the secret, but don't overdo it like me and get a bad case of tennis elbow. Its just slowly coming right after three months.

If you want to watch utube video's do a search under TommyCP he has a nice easy to follow cast both OTG and Pendulem..

%20Holden%20pendulum%20surfcasting

Also this is a handy site. Run by Neil Mackellow a previous world champion distance caster.

Look under Casting.

http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/

the shorter the rod the quicker through the air. if you fish a decent surf the the taller rod may be better suited, if you are quite short the shorter rod may be better? personally i like to fish with a 14 odd foot rod but casting wise i can get more form my 13.6 than the taller model

cheers
PerryP

thanks for that information Hardy and Chad you all certainly know your stuff.
I have 6kg ultima line on one of my spools and 10kg ultima on my other spare spool both have ultima tampered shockleaders 9lb-70lb i think. Ok i think i might go for a shorter 13"6 solarius and put it on my 6500B baitrunner and maybe use that as a smoothhound/moki setup or for shorter casts and keep my axeon and predator for the longer casts. But if i end up struggling with the taller rod i will just swap them around.Hope i make some kind of sense. And thanks for all your help. Happy fishing...PERRY

i have a preditor rod also, great rod for gurnard and sholie snapper.The tip action is very soft so you can set a good bend in the rod without alot of pressure so small bites are detected no problems.

another advantage with the soft tip action rods is long cast rigs such as imps and sheilds stay together better in the air and are less likely to come free. there is not so much shock on the rod from casting so it stays intact better. using light tackle is another! fighting fish is so much easier because the pressure can be kept on the fish with alot less pressure.

PerryP

yea i like to use imps for my bigger baits on pully rigs etc, and as you said have so far found that during my cast the hook has not released during flight. But use impact shields on long distance ledger rigs dor my smaller baits. Good to hear though i got the right rod as i mainly like to target gurnard it was only a fluke i got it Brandnew for $50 on trademe but didnt no any of the features or what it was like until you guys helped me out.... MANYTHANKS

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!