Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
bryce

Went out today to have another crack at the pendulum, minus some mono to get the spool down about 3mm.  this worked out a lot better than the other day.  had a couple of birdcasts but this was when the cast was anything but smooth and i'd lose sight of the sinker.  otherwise the line peeled off with no problem.
i managed one cracker of a cast warming up with an overhead thump, which took little effort and was the best cast of the day.  my pendulum casts were on average well short of my normal overhead thump.  i'm casting out into the ocean with just a 4oz sinker, so i dont know the exact distance i'm casting.  next time i head out i'll cast over ground and take some measurements.  i'd be interested in what distances people are getting, particularly beginners like me.  i'd also like to know what distances i should aim for, as i'm still learning and what gains i should work towards.
one thing that i noted today was that my pendulum casts were too low and flat.  with my normal overhead thump i can get a good high release at a good angle, but with the pendulum i feel that my release angle is too shallow.

Hardy

Hi Bryce

Keep casting and googling Long Distance Casting.  My best pendulem with a fixed spool was 163 yards.  With the Magnetix, so far around 90.  I am just feeling my way. I plan to stick to thumping until I feel comfortable with it.  And even my thumps are pretty low key.   Its a confidence thing, and as confidence grows so will my cast.

I reckon this summer will be the learning curve.  Casting long distance with a revolver is a challenge.

When I was a kid trout fishing I started on these things, I can remember sitting on the bank undoing birdnests and then one day they just stopped and did that lure fly out over the water.  That is the day I plan for with the Magnetix and I know it will come.

Cheers Trev

Hi Bryce it is very easy to get caught up in distances dont!!  To start with set yourself goals of achieving free running reel performance. Everyone gets birdsnests on these reels. Technique is the key to good distance, us long casters spend hours thinking or practicing technique . i use a tennis ball with a bolt through it , it weighs around 5oz and flys like a frozen chicken , however the feel is right and i can practice almost anywhere. Free spools are a relax and feel thing bad hair bad moods bad thoughts can cock this up at any stage get your technique started with small goals brake as far on as necessary then ease it off as you improve. The distance will come give it time. I go thru a routine evrytime i practice, feet position ,hips turning thru the cast and hands in right position.  It sounds like you are moving your head about hence some good some bad casts, keep it in a steady position and work everything around it. Lessons can be found thru your local club if not next year we will be near you for casting days fun and learning just getting our shite together now, next year project.keep asking and i will try to help as i can with probs, i dont mind honestly.

After googling a bit I had another crack at casting today. One thing I found out was that I was not letting the sinker swing around far enough.  I was coming into the forward cast with the sinker on the horizontal plane, rather than the vertical.  so my goal was to work on that part of the swing right.  Having the sinker swing up to the vertical i couldnt get the cast quite right.  didnt manage to get a single good cast out before i hit a birdsnest i couldnt unpick.  must have a head full of bad thoughts i think.  probably because i didnt take another rod down the beach, and have a bait out while i practiced.
i remember seeing somewhere that casting out, then taping the line down, and winding the line overtop, to lessen the birds from nesting.  ill try this next time im out.
if anyone in the HB is interested in a bit of fishing while practicing some casting, drop me an email.

bryce

After googling a bit i'm starting to get confused as to how my swing should look.  My main point of confusion is the angle of the rod (at the 9 o'clock position, 12 o'clock being the direction of the cast) and what the sinkers position is (when the rod is at the 9 o'clock position) which indicates when to turn and cast.  thanks.
bryce

Went out today casting down at the park.  Decided to slow it down a bit and do some OTG casts rather than pendulum.  This went pretty well.  Made some progress in turning and THEN pulling with the left hand, which is a big change from the classic kiwi grunter cast - pushing with the right hand.  I'll try this again and just work on the turn and pull, and leave the pendulum at the moment.  I think I have too much doubt as to what i should or should not be doing with the pendulum cast (see above post), which seems to guarantee that i wont do well.  anyway, 1 step backward to go 3 steps forward.
Left the park feeling pretty good about my achievement in an hour, and looking forward to having another crack, which is always better than trying too hard, birdsnesting every cast, and taking home a knotted up reel within 15 mins

Hardy

Hi Bryce

From what I have read and learnt re the pendulum, is that everybody does it slightly differently, in other words you develop a style that suits you. Then stick with it.

If you are having problems with the Pendulum it is recommended one goes back to the OTG to iron out the problems. So you are on the right track there.  My Tennis Elbow is slowly coming right., this was caused by to much casting practice on the beach with the Pendo.  So as soon as it come right, back into it I get.

My interest in distance casting is solely for fishing, to get the bait out further.  As I use breakout sinkers the OTG isn't much good to me, as the cast trips the sinker wires. I could use a launcher but that is just more gear to take to the beach. 

The cast I am finding quite handy at the moment is this one.

http://www.catfishin.net/sleeper.html

Its easy to perform and you can keep your eyes on the incoming waves at the same time.  It does fling it a fair way out to.  It is more or less an aerialised unitech cast.
A very handy cast indeed. Have a shot at it and let us know how you go,.

Cheers Trev

update
since my last post i decided to apply some oil to the (penn 525 mag) reel bearings.  i got some abu garcia hot sauce and pulled the side plate off.  after stripping the existing oil out with petrol, i set about trying to apply a single drop of hot sauce.  not easy when the bearing is entirely encased and most of the oil collecting in a recess on the outside bearing cover.  if theres a better way of doing this id love to know.  a bonus was that i had found that two of the inner magnets had come loose and were magnitised to the clicker.  i glued these back into place on the mag slider.
i've continued to practice the OTG cast.  my last practise was quite good.  all but one of my casts were consistent.  i never lost sight of the sinker and not a single over run. 
i took a gps out with me to gauge the distance im casting at.  im currently casting at 120-130m, just focusing on rythym and feel of the cast (im a long way from applying real power i think).  i think that its best that i concentrate further on rythym and feel further to get more consistent and familiar with the action. 
one thing that im going to try to work on is the release angle, which i tend to go lower than 45 degrees, and the pull.
one thing i have learnt when casting on grass, is to slow/ stop the sinker from hitting the ground.  this often stops it from going into the ground and it can be wound back in.   which is a bit of a break from a short walk each cast.

Neil

daiwa and penn both used to do reel oil in a small pen type applicator with a blunt hypo needle on it .Just empty the crap oil out and refil with you oil of choice.

Bicycle shops have a oil called pro gold that come in the same sort of applicator.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!