Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Thomasw

This post spans three different boards. But decided to post it in this one.

I am in the market for a new rod and reel (spinning) suitable to use with braid. At this point in time I am leaning towards PowerPro Micro Filament Line, Daiwa Emblem Reel and Solaris rod.

The Okuma Solraris/Axeon and Axeon/Axeon combos look interesting and are fairly cheap. But have read varying reports over the 'quality' of the reels. I played with one in a shop and they seem to be fairly solid.

My budget is about $200-300 for the reel and maybe a similar amount for the rod. Less is better then more.

The main type of fishing would be any which required long distance casting.

I mainly fishlarge baits for 7 gill and other sharks. That type of fishing does not really require long distance casts. I would probably use my existing 14' Kilwell powerplay GGX rod and Shimano 6500B baitrunner reel for my primary shark rod.

I also own a 3m Tica Proweave Surf Rod which I currently been using with my Daiwa Certate 4000. I do not have a specific purpose in mind for this set.

So, the main purpose for the new rod/reel would be long distance casting into deeper water. Probably targeting fish like Blue Cod and any which are not swimming close to the shoreline.

Any advice?

Timbo

Hi,

I was using an Axeon reel filled with 20lb braid during the first half of this year, it worked brilliantly. I believe Okuma have added a specific braid spool for this reel now as well. Cast well and detected bites much better than mono. Long range casting was easy. The braid I was using was Rapala Titanium which is quite stiff and I would definitely rate it. Your chosen rod should have good quality guides on it or the braid will chew into them over time. A solaris would be fine for this I imagine.

Neil

The solaris use fuji guides so you are fine there the other thing to keep a eye on is the line roller on the reel.
Its a very small bearing and gets wet from the line often if it seizes up the braid will cut into it quickly.
Thomasw

Has anyone here tried the Penn Slammer rods?
SeaI

I have an Oryx (and a 14.6 solaris) which is a dumbed down version of the Axeon. I played and landed a large stingray last week and the reel performed well except the anti reverse started turning back 1/2 of 3/4 of a handle turn before engaging again. The issue seems to be intermittent.

Personally after purchasing a shimano symetre, I would be going down the shimano/daiwa track for reels, with a stradic the next in my eye. I think you will be well spoiled for cheaper reels with your Certate!!!

Saying that the Okuma VS range get big raps and I have not used them.

A worry with the Axeon is the graphite body which I have heard flexes under heavy load (I have not experienced this with the Oryx) therefore a alloy body may be needed especially if you hook a large 7 gill. Also think that with braid there is no line stretch therefore your rod and reel takes all the hits

The Solaris Rod would be a good choice in my opinion.

And, aren't the Penn Slammer Rods the Solaris rip off with cheaper components?
Thomasw

I got the certate for a good price so did not pay to much for it. It is a very nice reel but not really suited for surfcasting. One time I accidentally left it on the sand in my rush to release a fish and a wave washed over it, the certate was completely stuck. A reel like the Shimano 6500B can handle quite a bit of sand before it starts complaining.

The main problem I have with the Stradics or the VS is that they do not have long cast spools making them less effective for surfcasting.

As far as I know with the exception of the Big baitrunner Shimano has no surfcasting reels in New Zealand. Penn is in a similar situation. Really only Okuma, Daiwa and Tica have reels with long spools in New Zealand.

I believe the Penn Silverado is the copy of the Solaris. While the Penn Slammer is a copy of the kilwell QTX. But I have little idea on what the action is like between the original and the imitations.

Chad

type in shamano stella in google!! now this is a bloody awsome reel made to last!

im thinking of buying one myself, very few are avalable in nz but they are well worth the chase
Chad

the pen slammer is a usless copy of the kilwell SLX ,i would steer clear of the pen rods.

value for money would be the solaris or a kilwell QT6 the qt6 is much stiffer than the solaris and slx and casts etremely well

and reels for money i like the tica cait runner and diawa emcast
Neil

I thought that I saw in one of the latest fishing mags that shimano were bring in 3 new surf reels??

RX310A

I have a couple of Slammers, find that they suit my casting really well - better than the Solaris which I have.  Cheap as, $200 a go.  Can't complain.

SeaI

ah the long cast reel thing, fair enough.

How about a Daiwa Saltiga it has a longcast spool, now that would blow the budget just on the reel I would think.

targeting sharks is it really about distance tho?
Thomasw

Certates are better then Stellas.

I have read the Daiwa Saltiga Surf has a few problems. But I do not feel there is any need to spend that much money on a Surf Reel.

Long casts are not required for shark fishing, but it would be nice to have 1 rod in the arsenal which was for long casting. My Shimano Baitrunner and Kilwell rod would probably be my shark reel.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!