Superior Fishing Tackle available Online

Fishing Gear and Techniques... and all that technical stuff!
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Thomasw

Went out fishing tonight and the sea was in a very bad mood. Large ocean swells crashing onto the beach and riding these parallel to the beach was a large chop. The sea was brown in colour.

I decided to wet a couple of lines anyway but did not get any action. Just wondering is it worth the effort to go fishing in such conditions? or would it be wiser to seek out calmer waters.
Siwants2fish

From my past experiences your better to give these conditions a miss as they arnt very enjoyable and iv fished them a few times just like you and had no luck and usually lost gear in the crushing waves, so thats my advice give big ugly swells a miss, by any chance where did you try i may be able to shed some more knowledge your way regards my experince with the conditions down the east coast if you want.

Thomasw

First I went to the Cliffs near the saltworks, but the sea was quite rough there. I had a 'run' during rough conditions there before but decided to keep moving.

Now I had the choice of going further south to ward which probably would of been sheltered, but I decided to head north and up to seaview where it was even rougher but I decided to have a fish anyway.
Siwants2fish

Ok what i have found that anything blowing more than a breeze in the north to northeast direction especially late afternoon can create really awful swells that become very hard to fish even with a norwest direction wind the cook striat acts like a funnel and directs it straight down the coast which can cause the same effect. A noreaster usually means that most of the east coast is very hard to fish asa its hard to get distance and hold a biat out there then detectt bites, just my two cents worth of my experince although its not to say that theres not fish to be caught in those conditions it just takes a lot of enjoyment out of the fishing

Thomasw

I really need to collect a few mussles so if I get down there and the conditions are rough, I can hop over the hill to ward beach and hopefully catch a few Moki.

I have never caught any fish at ward beach before, and even diving I have only seen small Butterfish and Moki but I am certain larger specimens must be around.

I remember when I use to go diving, if marfells beach was rough I would simply go to ward and it was normally divable. That cape really helps to deflect the wind.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!